Eating a diet rich in fiber and lean protein is a great way to support colon health. In addition to a healthy diet and colon irrigation, there are a wide variety of products specifically designed to help cleanse the colon. Read on to find out what these supplements are and how they work.
• Aloe Vera – This succulent plant is well known for its soothing properties for sunburn and other skin maladies but it is also extremely helpful with bowel movement regularity. Aloe is a botanical source of several vitamins and minerals as well as beta-carotene and amino acids. In addition to being used as an additive to a colonic, aloe is used both topically and can be consumed in juice form.
• Organic Coffee – When added to a colonic, coffee is absorbed by the liver and has a strong detoxification effect. What does this mean for colon health? Stool in the sigmoid colon – the last part of the colon – can become toxic. There is a circulatory system between the liver and the sigmoid colon that takes toxins to the liver for detoxification. Coffee is thought to help the liver process more toxins therefore keeping those toxins from circulating throughout the rest of the body.
• Organic Wheatgrass – In powder form, organic wheatgrass can also be added to a colonic where it is thought to have a cleansing effect not only on the gastrointestinal tracts but on the blood and organs as well. Wheatgrass is a natural source of vitamins and antioxidants, and is also consumed in juice and pill form as a supplement.
• Psyllium Husk – Dietary fiber is extremely important to maintaining good colon health and psyllium husk is considered to be one of the best vegetable sources. Psyllium husk helps support regularity as well as a healthy digestive system. The additional benefits of this source of dietary fiber are healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels as well as cardiovascular health and healthy blood pressure.
• Senna – This plant is an herb containing sennosides that are turned into rheinanthrones by the good bacteria inside the colon. In this way senna is reported to help encourage bowel movement by stimulating the muscles that help move stool through the intestine while inhibiting the muscles that retain stool. Senna is also thought to support a healthy colon and intestinal tract.
If you are using colon cleansers, be sure to keep these supplements in mind.